Conference calls can be tricky when youre traveling. How do you ensure clear connections and smooth operations while youre on the road? Here are a few tips.
- Pay attention to time zones. It can be especially difficult to keep track of time when youre outside of your usual zone especially if the calls participants are scattered around the globe. When scheduling a call, use a time zone calculator to find the most convenient time for everyone involved. Set an alert on your mobile phone that will go off 15 minutes beforehand as a reminder.
- Make sure your phone reception is up to par. Whenever possible, use a landline or an internet connection (to plug into a VoIP service, such as Skype, via your laptop). If you must use your mobile phone, verify in advance that the area where youll be during the call has sufficient coverage; if it doesnt, you may need to relocate. If youre a bit of a MacGyver, you could also try WiseBreads strategies for hacking your phone to boost reception.
- Get the right gear. Portable speakerphones, such as the Jabra Speak 410, can plug into your laptop for use during a VoIP call. If youre calling from your car, purchase a Bluetooth speakerphone unit, or consider buying a GPS device thats equipped with built-in Bluetooth hands-free call technology, such as the TomTom VIA 1535TM.
- Use the Mute button when necessary. If youre at an airport or another busy locale, or if youre getting a lot of static on the line, press your phones Mute button to spare your fellow conversationalists the background noise. Just remember to unmute when its your turn to talk!
- Record the conversation. If youre unable to take notes during a call, consider recording the conversation so you can listen to it again later. (Note: By law, youre required to inform fellow participants that youll be recording the call.) Use an app like MP3 Skype Recorder for conducting calls over Skype or PhoneTap ($4.99 for iPhone). For easy reference, you may then want to send your audio files to a transcription service, such as Scribie.
This advice is courtesy of Spark & Hustle national sponsor Intuit GoPayment. WIth GoPaymet you can accept credit cards right on your mobile phone or tablet so you never miss a sale! There’s no monthly fee, no start up costs and no commitment. Change the way you do business and get your free card reader today!
About the Author: Kathryn Hawkins